Tuesday 28 July 2009

A Short Glossary of French Expressions and their Real Meaning

Yesterday's post inspired me to compile this short list of frequently seen/heard French expressions... You may be familiar with some of them; however, do you really know what they actually mean??

I stress that this list is based on personal experience and years of careful observation.
It may save you a lot of hassle and malentendus...


Expression: "Vue imprenable" (= breathtaking view - literally, "impregnable view" - often seen on signposts at pretty spots around the French countryside)
Real Meaning: Quite nice view


Expression: "C'est absolument scandaleux!" (= this is absolutely scandalous!)
Real Meaning: It's a little bit annoying, actually


Expression: "Je suis totalement épuisé / crevé" (= I am totally exhausted / burst)
Real Meaning: I'm a bit tired


Expression: "Madame, votre fils souffre d'une rhinopharyngite avec angine blanche" (= Madam, your son is suffering from rhinopharyngitis and tonsillitis")
Real Meaning: Your son has a bit of a cold

NOTE: Medical expressions constitute an entire sub-category (we can't possibly go into all that here)


Expression: "Il fait un temps pourri depuis 15 jours" (= the weather has been rotten for the past 2 weeks)
Real Meaning: There was a slight drizzle this morning but it'll probably be sunny again later


Expression: "On en reparle demain, promis" (= we'll discuss it again tomorrow, I promise)
Real Meaning: We may possibly mention this again in the next few weeks, but probably not


And, my (very) personal favourite:

Expression (uttered by my gynaecologist when I was 4 months pregnant): "Madame, vous ne devez absolument pas porter du poids ni vous déplacer en voiture, sinon vous risquez un accouchement très prématuré!" (= Madam, whatever you do, DO NOT lift anything heavy whatsoever and limit your car journeys, otherwise - mark my words - you are in grave danger of a very premature birth!)
Real Meaning: Do whatever you like for the next 5 months and you'll probably still have to be induced after carrying the pregnancy to full-term


I hope this has been enlightening...
Perhaps I will share future gems with you as and when I encounter them :-)

2 comments:

Ptitwill said...

Alors, "tout vient à point qui sait attendre" ? ;o)

Shirl said...

All good things come to those who wait??

I don't know: I'll keep you posted!