Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

If you saw a young(ish) woman rummaging around in the gutter in the twilight... would you stop to help her??

The answer to this question - for one smart, be-suited man who lives in the chicest neighbourhood in Toulouse - is: yes.

Yes, that's right: as part of the never-ending series of "things I never thought I would one day find myself doing", last night I found myself crawling along the gutter in search of a lost dummy. A flesh-coloured dummy, no less.
This will teach me to let BB suck his dummy whilst riding on the back of my bike. One excited "Maman! Moto!"... and the dummy had flown out into the darkness, much to BB's distress.

But then along came smart man. He kindly asked if I needed any help, didn't look the slightest bit fazed when I explained the incongruous situation, promptly deposited his briefcase on the pavement and bent down to help with the search.

And he found the dummy.

As we thanked him profusely, he merely smiled, brushed down his Armani suit, retrived his briefcase and walked off into the night.

Pure class.

4 comments:

Ptitwill said...

I thought you would conclude by "Pure class, a typical Toulouse guy. HuBo Goss spirit." ;o)

o. said...

happy birthday to your blog...

Cheers? That would be nice to celebrate this.

Shirl said...

Ptitwill: ;-))

O. Hey, thanks for remembering! You amaze me...
A drink?

o. said...

Let's have a drink! send me a mail or phone me soon.