Thursday 5 November 2009

Back Down To Earth

Hum. Estate agents are meanies. Bearers of doom and gloom who seem to enjoy pouring a huge dose of Reality over your little dreams.
Yes folks, my enthusiasm of two days ago has unfortunately deflated slightly.
See, I am a bit of a "I want it all and I want it now" kind of person. But unfortunately, the chic professional lady I asked to come and evaluate our flat was more of a"You'd be much better advised to wait a while" kind of person.

I understand, of course I do. The market is morose, blah blah, blah. We'll lose out financially, blah, blah, blah.
This all makes perfect sense, it's just not fun.

Which may be why my instinctive first reaction was to... yes - got it in one - cry.
What is wrong with me?? Why do my tear ducts automatically go into overdrive when my heart's desire is thwarted, even though my head is nodding and my brain is agreeing with the reasonable view of Reality that is being described to me??
Honestly, sometimes I fear I never got over the five-year-old sulky stage.
Have you ever cried in front of an estate agent?
I'm guessing not. I would advise you not to, if you can in any way avoid it.
It doesn't really add much credibility to your real estate project.

Anyway, I'm over it. Patience is not one of my top ten virtues but I can muster up enough to wait awhile.
This evening through the post I received the profile and photo of the little boy I'm going to sponsor with World Vision. He's six years old and lives in one of the poorer parts of Ethiopia. The World Vision project in his area is helping provide his community with clean drinking water and access to a medical centre.
It only took me a matter of seconds to realise with an ego-shaking thud that this little boy's version of Reality is a universe away from mine.
So I should really stop feeling sorry for myself.

Life is good at giving you a timely kick up the backside from time to time.


2 comments:

Les canadiens said...

Dreams give us hope, an anticipation of pleasure since our mind has convinced our body that it will happen.
It's a bet on the future, sometimes we win, sometimes we loose. But it's what make us feel alife.
Take care
Pascal

Shirl said...

C'est très joliment dit :-)