Sunday 1 March 2009

Thirty-something

So, today I turned 31.
31!!
I mean, I was fine with 30. 30 felt OK - like it was a little room just to the right of the 20s, to which you could always pop back, if need be. A sort of "connecting door" situation.
But 31 feels serious. Like you've been kicked out of that nice little room and left to wander the long, thorny path all the way to 40...
How did I get here?! I'm still so young, she doth protest!

I spent most of my childhood feeling older than I should... and now, suddenly, the tables have turned. I should have taken root at 29. 29 was good, I liked it a lot: you could be young when you wanted and adult when it suited.

Anyway, I like to look on the bright side so, as the old cliché goes, I'm trying to enjoy the fact I'll never be this young again...

PS Exciting commentary & a few pictures of our long weekend coming soon.

1 comment:

Pascale said...

Welcome to 31, Shirl!
Hope you have a lovely birthday and get to enjoy something chocolatey or cakey. Better yet, something chocolatey AND cakey!

Take care
Pascale