Saturday 21 March 2009

My Little Fashion Victim


This post does not - as you might expect - refer to the Man City shirt BB is wearing in the above photo (that's another story...), but rather to the little knitted cardigan he is clutching in his right hand.

If you look closely, you will note that BB can frequently be seen sporting this stripey (bobbly) garment (on the scone-making photos, for example).

The reason is: it's his Favourite Thing. He loves that cardi so much he now presents it to me every morning (regardless of whatever else he may already be wearing, regardless of weather conditions and the like...), and has recently even taken to putting it on himself (or making a good attempt to).

He's affirming his tastes and making decisions... so I'm quite happy to oblige and let him wear it all the time.
But... he's just so sweet in his bobbly, grandpa-esque knitwear that it tugs at my motherly heartstrings!

The other day at the park, there we were -mother and son - on the edge of the action, just sitting quietly in the sun, BB clad in his favoutite cardi (despite the heat), holding onto my hand aimiably.
Lately he has been very shy, so while dozens of other kids (wearing flashy, fashionable clothes) raced about rowdily, BB was content just to sit and observe.

I nuzzled his neck, breathing in the strangely intoxicating scent of his well-worn cardi, and had a surge of that overwhelming, fierce love that I suppose every mother feels from time to time.

And I surprised myself by thinking: if any kid ever dares so much as to make fun of his grandpa cardi... I'll... I'll... Well, I reckon I'd be capable of violence!


At the same time, I was all too aware of the fleetingness of it all, the need to soak up every second of our companiable afternoon.

Because, you know, I somehow doubt very much that in fifteen years' time he'll be snuggling up to his mummy in the park... wearing a bobbly old cardigan.

1 comment:

AFG said...

nice one shirl. and i especially like the man city personalised shirt, glad to know he's keeping on the family tradition!
i think caitlin proved to be a good mascot in her Irish rugby shirt ... did you see the result of the six nations?! ;o)