Wednesday 11 March 2009

Let Them Eat Cake!

I am not a very domestic person.
I think FH would crease up laughing at that amusing understatement, but I feel that I deserve some merit, at least, for knowing my limitations...

However, on Wednesdays, I don't work, I stay home to look after BB and I really, really try hard to be a warm, competent, motherly home-maker.

This Wednesday, I decided that BB and I would try out a new, rather scary activity. Baking.


I procured all the ingredients to make yummy scones and carefully copied out a recipe onto a post-it at work.
See how organised I am?


I settled BB into his assistant's chair, and even covered the kitchen table with a cheery, Provençal tablecloth, just to add to the homely, earth-mother ambiance. ItaliqueI even put on an apron, for goodness sake!

I had to estimate quantities of flour, butter and sugar, unfortunately... because of course, I don't possess anything as useful as scales. I grinned and exclaimed "Isn't this fun!" while the sticky, buttery mixture stuck to the insides of my (too long) finger nails. BB tentatively patted his hand onto some flour... then rubbed disdainfully at his "dirty" hand.
Oh dear. I fear he may have inherited my own domestic skills (or lack of).

Actually, it all seemed to take considerably longer than the "Quick and Easy!" the recipe had promised... and BB started to lose heart as I kneaded doggedly. The word "stodge" sprang to mind...


Eventually, BB gave up and found a new, more stimulating game: hiding under the tablecloth.
At long last, the scones went into the oven, and I could take a 15-minute rest from all the hard work while we waited for the verdict.


Well, they are a motley crew, aren't they?
I have a special fondness for that big, unshapely one in the middle. How come he got so big?? Must have got all the good genes...


But the important thing is not the result, but to have a go, right?

Anyway, back to the office tomorrow. Phew.
I think that both FH and BB are secretly relieved that my domestic pursuits are limited to Wednesdays...

No comments: