Wednesday 10 November 2010

SAD

One of the perks of possessing one's very own blog is the option of being able to Look Back.
Like a diary, the blog provides its author with an irrefutable record of the past: its events, emotions and inconsistencies.
This is not always a comfortable thing, of course.
In fact - just like diary entries from the teen years - previous blog posts can seem cringeworthy when dug up and read months or years later.

But sometimes, they provide solace.
After ruminating for a while about how to fill the figurative blank space on this blog, I dared to take a peek at the November/December entries of the past two years.
And there, something became apparent: this is not a good time of year for me.

The two year record contained within this blog (albeit a selective one) seems to demonstrate beyond any doubt that late Autumn is my hibernation period: the time of year during which, try as I might to recover some cheerfulness, I can't help but feel melancholy... and restless.

I guess that knowing this should provide comfort. It's a question of sitting tight, and letting the year slide to a close with as much serenity as I can muster.
It's a time for books, hot tea, the cinema, red wine and dreaming.
Time for the imaginary world to supplant reality.
No harm in that?

4 comments:

Les canadiens said...

Imaginary world to supplant reality...
That makes me think about Transition Town. Have a look:
http://transitionnetwork.org/
It's spreading around pretty fast and I met some people interested in starting one in Montréal.
Pascal

AFG said...

Hmm, I was thinking that this wasn't really true, until I realised that just recently you changed your blog background and it is rather...plain, well, at least compared to what you had before!
ANIMO! as we say here.

Shirl said...

Hi Pascal, hmmm... it sounds like a version of "Simplicité Volontaire"? Sounds good in theory. Do you think you might join?
Bises

Shirl said...

Hi Anita,
Ah: I thought the new background was more neatly described as "pure and minimalist"... but I guess "plain" is an alternative viewpoint :-)