Tuesday 7 April 2009

We Made It!

For anyone who might have doubted (i.e. me!), we made it safely to England. The journey was a success, if one may stretch the meaning of the word "success" to include an irate and anxious mother and an over-excited toddler with a passion for throwing objects onto the heads of fellow passengers. In true English style, we'll conclude that "it could have been worse"...

So after my first solo-with-child flying experience, I can make the following initial conclusions:

Advantages of flying alone with a small child:

- Other people tend to smile indulgently / sympathetically / encouragingly
- Fellow passengers (especially those with small children) feel free to engage in conversation (I have never in my life had so much conversation whilst waiting to board a plane)
- You can boldly walk to the front of the boarding queue, muttering "I'm really sorry, but would it be alright if...." and no-one so much as tuts or frowns! Queue jumping is considered acceptable practice!
- You are so busy trying to control a hyper-active child that you have considerably less time to listen anxiously for signs of engine failure / wing becoming detached, etc, etc...
- When aforemetioned child FINALLY goes to sleep on your lap, the act of stroking his head and listening to his quiet breathing is almost as therapeutic as Valium.
- Rules are bent. Example: "It is not airline policy to remove prams at the foot of the aircraft for the benefit of pasengers," I was snootily informed by the FEMALE ground attendant on arrival in Manchester. But before I even had a chance to respond, indicate my pregnant state or look in any way miffed, the MALE ground attendant jumped forward and assured me "You just wait there, love, I'll go and get your pram for you. Don't want you struggling on your own with the little 'un."
Ha. I had the good grace not to look smug as female ground attendant pursed her lips...


Drawbacks of flying alone with a small child:

- Sheer exhaustion.

And only a few days to go until we do it all again!

No comments: