Tuesday 25 January 2011

FAQ no. 1

Who knows why some days, weeks or months are so much better than others?

I have spent almost 33 years living on this planet, and I still don't get it.

I have a few tentative thoughts on the matter, a flash of inspiration here and there.
But nothing surefire and irrefutable.

Maybe it's all down to an imperceptible hormonal shift?

A sudden increase in the amount of natural light (we have had 10 days of unbroken sunshine here, albeit freezing cold sunshine...)?

A husband who welcomes us home with a hug rather than a scowl?

Or perhaps it's not so much the external stuff as the way in which we choose to position our own blinkers?
The tiniest shift in perspective and the light falls differently: on my job (a fleeting intellectual buzz), on motherhood (a privileged time to be savoured, not a challenge to be battled through on route to something else), on Toulouse (a place where the pinky morning light falls perfectly across the river as one cycles to work). And so on.

I don't know why or how these shifts happen, but I think I know that we can strive to influence them, at least a little bit.

But when I read what a wiser woman than I wrote on her blog, I knew a big part of the answer lay within:
Why can't it all just be great?
It CAN be great. It can't be perfect, but it can be great.

No comments: