Wednesday 17 February 2010

Creatures of Habit

One of my colleagues just got back from a 6-month stint in the UK. It was her first time "over there".
As we chatted about her experiences and impressions, she told me that the thing that struck her most was her British colleagues' attitude to food, and more specifically, lunch time.
"I couldn't believe it!" she told me, clearly baffled, "lots of people actually preferred to eat a sandwich at their desk... or even - even! - eat alone in their car!"

I nodded and "ummed" non-commitally, not quite sure where this was going.

"I mean, isn't that weird?" she insisted, obviously looking for some sort of validation on my part. "Why would anyone prefer to eat a sandwich alone, when there's a canteen and colleagues to share lunch with?!"

I debated whether to choose honesty, but really, I didn't want to upset her. Nay, maybe I didn't want to lose the esteem I had obviously earned from her as a "non-typical Brit".
So I just agreed that yes, it was odd. It was one of those "British things".

Actually, I never tell anyone when I sneak off to eat a sandwich in my car. I tend to just gallop off with a breezy "see you later!" that implies I have some kind of exciting lunch engagement.
It's simpler that way.

But I never realised until now that my attraction to solo / time-out lunch breaks might be a remnant of my cultural heritage.
I thought it was just me.
But no, maybe it's the British me.

3 comments:

AFG said...

This happens me all the time. I'm not sure whether I do something because it's an Irish / British / European thing or because it's an Anita thing. Ahhh, the dilemmas of cultural immersion.

Les canadiens said...

I can't imagine having lunch in my car (anyway I don't have a car), and I'm very curious to know why you prefer doing so instead of pretending to have work to finish and eating at your desk?? Plus it's warmer, there is more room and there is internet!
Pascal

Shirl said...

;-)
The reason is: I can listen to the radio in the car.
But I don't always have the car, and if it's a nice day, I'll go for a walk or find a bench to sit on or whatever... The point is simply to be alone for half an hour ;-)