Monday 21 December 2009

Out of Step

Since the snow and the cold have arrived here in Toulouse, the boys and I encounter very few other people on our afternoon walks.
In fact, 95% of the fellow strollers we meet are dog-walkers: grim-faced souls wrapped up in thick layers of wool, eyes to the ground as their spritely dog gallops by.

You would think that a bit of snow might be fun for kids? Yet the only other child we met on Friday afternoon belonged to an older lady who smiled and told me: "I'm from Normandy, you know. That's why I don't mind the cold. I bet you're from the North too?"
"Yup," I nodded, "I'm definitely from the North, too."

It seems that people from Toulouse have the wrong attitude to cold weather. They see it as a burden to be avoided, rather than simply a great opportunity to accessorize (hats, scarves, gloves...)!
More seriously, I don't really understand why people here just retreat into hiding, rather than let their kids play around in the snow. But there's something peaceful about being the only souls out on days like these. Again and again, I realise that I'm happiest when I'm out of step with the rest of the city.

No comments: