Friday 22 May 2009

Bridge Days

Today is a "bridge day" (in French, un "pont"). Bridge days honour an age-old French tradition: the understanding that, if a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday, 95% of the population will take the Monday or the Friday off as well, thereby making the bridge to the weekend...
Some (a lot) of sneaky people also consider that a public holiday that helpfully falls on a Wednesday = double bridge, and may well take the whole week off.

Some of us - including me - like to work on bridge days.
I like the therapeutic calm of the office, the soft purr of the photocopier, the faint buzzing of the overhead lights...
Today, our entire staff consists of three people: me, my boss and a hapless intern (who presumably doesn't have the choice). And the sound of my fingers click-clicking on the keyboard resonates around the empty room...

FH is at home baby-minding. The creche is making the bridge, of course.
I haven't told any lies, exactly, but I perhaps led him ever so slightly to believe that I had to go into work today. The truth is that bridge days at work are so much more relaxing than looking after a toddler... so sometimes a mother has to do what a mother has to do...

No comments: