Friday 9 July 2010

An Englishwoman in France

Here's a snapshot of the baffling interactions that mark the daily life of a young Englishwoman in the south of France:

At the shoe/belt/bag repair shop at Leclerc. Have come in to pick up my new leather belt. Had left it there an hour earlier with gruff yet smart middle-aged Frenchman, who was supposed to fix a thin leather strap onto the belt, to make it stay in place.

Me (being shown the belt): "Ah, great. Looks good. How much do I owe you?"

Him: "14 euros 90, I'm afraid. That's the set price."

Me: "Wow - that's a lot. I mean, it's just a tiny piece of leather."

Him: "I know. That's the set price, see. But let's say 7 euros."

Me (confused but smart enough not to let a good deal go): "Great, thank you!"

Him (smiles flirtatiously).

Me (hands over money, smiles flirtatiously).

Me: "Au revoir, Monsieur!"

Him: "Au revoir, Madame!"

End of transaction.
Net value of flirtatious smile = 7 euros 90

No comments: