Monday 26 October 2009

International Relations

I studied International Relations for two very enjoyable (albeit intimidating: everybody seemed to know five times as much as I did...) semesters at university.
The International Relations I now dabble in are slightly more modest. But they are not without importance.

Last week while walking through the park with my trusty companion LB, I was accosted (I have chosen this word on purpose) by one of the park wardens, who evidently just fancied a chat. When he discovered I was English, his eyes lit up and the chat quickly morphed into a Monologue About My Opinion of England and the English.
I use capitals because this Monologue is no stranger to me. Oh no. In fact, I would estimate that I have heard it, on average, twice a month since I first came to live in France. Twice per month = 24 times per year. I have lived here for just over 9 years.
So that means that, at a rough guess, I have been subjected to said Monologue approximately 216 times.

Needless to say, I know it so well that I can recite it from memory. The order of the points varies, but every single stranger who has served me this monologue, without exception, has included all of the following:

1/ I once went to Portsmouth/Brighton/Bath/Oxford on a school trip. For a whole week. The family I stayed with was actually really nice!
2/ I love London: people are so eccentric! Nobody judges anybody else! So refreshing!
3/ Ah, everybody knows how bad English food is! (wry smile). But I will say this: your fish & chips are fantastic!
4/ I love the atmosphere of English pubs.
5/ Ah, the weather. But you know, when I was there on my school exchange trip, it was sunny all week!
6/ English people are so laid back. Not like Parisians.
7/ You know what I really LOVE about you English? Your sense of humour! Fantastic! Benny Hill... Mr Bean... oh, I love them!

I promise you: I am not making this up. It's actually quite fascinating: young people, older people... the Monologue is always spookily identical.

But you know what, it doesn't bother me at all, even after 9 years, to be Monologued at. The reason is this: 100% of the French people who have served me this Monologue have concluded with the same line: I think the English are great people.
(some, rather shockingly, even add: "So much better than the French").

So forget the old clichés: the English are always welcome over here.

No comments: