Tuesday 18 August 2009

Affection, Rejection and the Blues

Sorry for the lack of posting of late. The sky here has been relentlessly blue... and so have I.
But just as the aggressive heat of this exceptionally hot summer will pass, so will this lingering "baby blues". Maybe I will write more about this brief, unexpected and unnerving experience later, when it is truly behind me; maybe not. We'll see.

In the meantime, let me tell you about BB and his favourite new activity: shouting "NO!!!" at the top of his (surprisingly loud) voice whilst adopting a pose reminiscent of "the bad guy' in every bad crime movie you've ever seen.


In my post-pregnancy, fragile state, I naturally assumed this vehement display of negativity was aimed at me personally... and thus shed many a pitiful tear on the subject.
That was until I discovered him doing exactly the same thing to... his own reflection. Poised in front of the tall bedroom mirror, my feisty 2 year old was practising the effect of his "bad guy" stance, and seemed mighty impressed with the result.


My childcare book (it sits right by the bible on the top bookshelf) says that kids spend the first 6 months of their life trying to get as close to their parents as possible, and the rest of their lives trying to become independent from them.
This is undoubtedly true, but I would just add a slight rectification:
When you are a 31 year old woman who's just had a baby, you suddenly, instinctively, revert to that helpless newborn who needs his mummy more than anything.
And you are just so overwhelmingly relieved that she's there to help.
And so the chain of life - and affection - continues.

No comments: