Friday 19 December 2008

Flying the Nest

Yesterday was our “much revered” office Christmas lunch. This once-a-year treat involves sitting at a long table with fifteen or so colleagues in a sort of “last supper” configuration, and being served what the firm’s canteen calls a “repas amélioré”. This literally means “improved meal”. Everyone at the firm talks about the “repas amélioré” – in fact, you’ll hear that term used far more frequently than a simple “repas de Noel”. Just to underline how special it is, I suppose.

For anyone who might have been wondering what the French like to eat for Christmas lunch, here’s a partial answer. Our “repas amélioré” consisted of stuffed pigeon. No, that’s not a typing error, it was supposed to read “stuffed pigeon”.
Now, I realise that tastes are subjective, and that not everyone is a devout lifelong vegetarian like me, but doesn’t that just beg the question “what the heck is the non-improved everyday version, then??” Grilled rat?

The canteen tries to innovate every year. No two Christmas meals are ever the same. Well, this year just takes the ticket for me. Naturally, I made do with a chunk of cheese and some bread whilst trying desperately not to glance down at the spindly little bird legs sticking out of adjoining plates.

The general consensus, from what I could gather, appeared to be that the pigeon had been tasty. Thankfully, at least, I am no longer subjected to an hour-long inquisition as to why I refuse to partake of such succulent regional delicacies during these lunches. This was my fate for the first few years, but they all know me now. They know I’m a bit “funny” when it comes to food, and they make allowances. It’s very decent of them to be so understanding.


Well, that’s all folks. I’m taking my petit parapluie (little umbrella), my snow boots and my woolly hat and heading up to the Pyrenees for the holidays. More news in a week or so, hopefully with some aesthetically snowy landscape shots.Happy Christmas to all!

No comments: